From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Debug and strip control, USE flags/$DEBUG
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:32:16
1 Den 25 Aug 2001 14:15:16 +0300 skrev Dan Armak:
2
3 > Hi all,
4
5 Hi!
6
7 > The adding of USE flags is currently unregulated, so I thought I'd post to
8 > get a consensus.
9
10 Good thinking :)
11
12 > Current status: a few ebuilds use env. var. $DEBUG, not explicitly set
13 > anywhere in gentoo config files, to enable debugging. The portage system uses
14 > it to disable automatic binary stripping. The flag is nowhere mentioned in
15 > gentoo docs (AFAIK), a user would have to know about it to enable debugging.
16
17 The DEBUG-flag is set in /etc/make.globals.
18
19 > Suggestion:
20 > 1. make a $STRIP variable for portage instead. On by default. Set
21 > from make.* so the user can see it.
22 > 2. make a USE variable "debug", off by default, for all ebuilds to use.
23
24 I think that this is a good solution but I think the DEBUG-flag should
25 be on by default. This way we can get useful feedbacks.
26
27 In the same discussion. I think that we should have -g -O2 as default
28 flags when building. And not show in /etc/make.conf how to set change it
29 to -O3. So that only advanced users will change this option to be -O3 or
30 higher. I know that at least some evolution hackers are pretty fead up
31 with Gentoo users bugreporting with -O3, stripped binaries and no
32 debug-symbols. Also, it's much harder for us to debug the input from our
33 users.
34
35 A user that knows what he is doing and changes the buildflags will be
36 easier to talk to and ask if he could rebuild with debug-information
37 when nescessary.
38
39 Regards,
40 Mikael Hallendal
44 Mikael Hallendal
45 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
46 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden