From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:55:23
1 Am 15.06.2012 06:50, schrieb Duncan:
2 > Greg KH posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:28:10 -0700 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> So, anyone been thinking about this? I have, and it's not pretty.
5 >>
6 >> Should I worry about this and how it affects Gentoo, or not worry about
7 >> Gentoo right now and just focus on the other issues?
8 >>
9 >> Minor details like, "do we have a 'company' that can pay Microsoft to
10 >> sign our bootloader?" is one aspect from the non-technical side that
11 >> I've been wondering about.
12 >
13 > I've been following developments and wondering a bit about this myself.
14 >
15 > I had concluded that at least for x86/amd64, where MS is mandating a user
16 > controlled disable-signed-checking option, gentoo shouldn't have a
17 > problem. Other than updating the handbook to accommodate UEFI,
18 > presumably along with the grub2 stabilization, I believe we're fine as if
19 > a user can't figure out how to disable that option on their (x86/amd64)
20 > platform, they're hardly likely to be a good match for gentoo in any case.
23 As a user, I'd still like to have the chance of using Secure Boot with
24 Gentoo since it _really_ increases security. Even if it means I can no
25 longer build my own kernel.
26
27 > ARM and etc could be more problematic since MS is mandating no-unlock
28 > there, last I read. I have no clue how they can get away with that anti-
29 > trust-wise, but anyway... But I honestly don't know enough about other
30 > than x86/amd64 platforms to worry about it, personally.
33 I guess anti-trust is not an issue since MS is not even close to having
34 a monopoly in ARM.
35
36 Regards,
37 Florian Philipp