From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Enable FEATURES=config-protect-if-modified by default?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 01:44:49
1 Zac Medico posted on Tue, 15 May 2012 15:24:53 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > In case you aren't familiar with it, here's the description from the
6 > make.conf(5) man page:
7 >
8 > This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that
9 > have not been modified since they were installed.
10 >
11 > I think it would be a good idea to enable this by default, but I thought
12 > I'd ask here first, in case anyone has objections.
13
14 I've been using this for awhile now (tho IIRC it wasn't /that/ long ago
15 that I saw it popup as new in the portage changelog =:^), and have been
16 rather happy with it indeed! =:^)
17
18 Among other things, I used to get prompted at I think every update for a
19 whole slew of mc theme and hotkey file updates, when I never touched
20 those files. Now I don't have to worry about 'em! =:^) Same thing
21 (different files of course) with openrc, where I use the -9999 live-git
22 version and normally update once or twice a week to better track changes
23 that sometimes negatively affect me.
24
25 The best thing about it is not having to worry about missing an important
26 change in a file I DO change, due to all the noise from files I don't
27 touch.
28
29 So yes, definitely ++ to making it the default, from here! =:^)
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman