From: Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-3 draft: slot operator support
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:27:26
1 On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 16:29:53 +0530
2 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I think the current way is the most easily-supportable way for us.
5 > Complex interdependencies b/w packages and slots => O(n^k) times bugs,
6 > where k = no. of slots for a library.
7 >
8 > If we don't get all those bugs, it means people are running the latest
9 > package and latest slot. So slot operators would be m00t in that case.
10
11 I wouldn't be using slotdeps as actual slotdeps, more like ABI deps.
12 Each slot would soft-block all other slots, so upgrades would be
13 handled normally by portage. Only, all other packages could use slotdeps
14 to be rebuilt when a new version of gtk-sharp is released. It would
15 probably take a bit of eclass fudgery, but it could be made to work.
16 Also, it would allow people to mix ~arch and arch for -sharp stuff.
17 Which would be good.
18
19 As I said, I would be using slot-deps as ABI-deps. I would find actual
20 ABI deps to be vastly more useful since I wouldn't have to keep track
21 of earlier slots to block.
22
23 Imagine a world with no revdep-rebuild?
24
25 /loki_val