From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Mike Wojcikiewicz <mike@××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] Why headers? was:Mismatch between =?iso-8859-1?q?gentoo-sources and?= linux-headers?
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:15:02
1 On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 12:52:32PM -0400, Mike Wojcikiewicz wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On May 9, 2003 21:31, Norberto BENSA wrote:
6 > > nbensa@venkman ~ $ date ; echo ${Spundun Bhatt}
7 > > Friday 09 May 2003 08:47 pm
8 > >
9 > > > Why is glibc built againt a package called linux-headers? Must be a very
10 > > > elementary question.... but since we have the entire source with us...
11 > > > why is glibc not using that ? and using instead extra package of
12 > > > headers?
13 > >
14 > > 'cos it needs to know about the architecture it is being installed.
15 > >
16 > > Is your box x86, ppc, sparc, mips, arm? How does it handle byte-order? How
17 > > long is an int? Your chars are signed or unsigned?
18 >
19 > I have to agree it seems kind of silly to have linux-headers if you already
20 > have *-sources.. I mean the rest of gentoo is so cleanly done, this doesnt
21 > seem to fit... linux-headers shouldnt even exist!:)
22 >
23 > Hmmm.. couldn't the bootstrap process build against linux-headers, then when
24 > you get to the part in the install that you have to build a kernel, unmerge
25 > linux-headers and setup all the proper symlinks to /usr/src/linux after the
26 > user emerged a kernel... or perhaps have the user d/l the kernel source
27 > before the bootstrap.. or maybe someone else has a solution
28 >
29 > CC:ing gentoo-dev.. I'd really like to know if this is feasible
30 >
31 > DISCLAIMER: im not a hardcore C developer, so maybe I'm just not getting why
32 > this wouldn't work
33
34 /usr/include/linux is, according to Linus, obsolete and _should not_ be
35 symlinked to /usr/src/linux/[...]
39 Jon Portnoy
40 avenj/irc.freenode.net
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list