From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proposal: use only one hash function in manifest files
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:19:24
1 Hi Ulrich,
2
3 On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 4:10 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 > The OpenPGP signature is for the top-level Manifest only. In case there
5 > was any trouble, it would be trivial to change the hash algorithm used
6 > for this.
7 >
8 > In constrast to that, updating the hashes in all Manifest files is a
9 > huge pain in the neck. Basically, you must download all distfiles, which
10 > is not trivial. For example, think of fetch-restricted files. (I've
11 > helped twice with updating Manifest files, so I believe I know what I'm
12 > talking about. :)
13
14 The thing is, if SHA-512 is broken, that will really be the least of
15 our concerns. TLS itself will be broken....
16
17 Jason