From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: amateur radio applications should not be in media-radio
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:55:59
1 On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:48:25PM +0200, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > All,
6 > >
7 > > I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are in the
8 > > category media-radio.
9 > >
10 > > Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would like to
11 > > propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or possibly moving the
12 > > amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if there are things in
13 > > media-radio which are not amateur radio related.
14 > >
15 > I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore I am
16 > a little bit biased :). I was always confused to find them in
17 > media-radio. If we do the move please count on me.
18
19 I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the ham radio
20 apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part of the media.
21
22 > But to be honest there are some amateur (ham) radio related packages in
23 > other categories too (e.g. app-misc/aldo - a cw morse trainer,
24 > app-text/7plus - a packet radio text encoder, ..). So maybe a general
25 > cleanup would be good.
26 >
27 > A quick count in media-radio gives 12 packages for amateur radio and 2
28 > others (the second one coming in just today). In sunrise there are 11
29 > amateur radio related packages and 0 others. That means a move to
30 > app-hamradio would leave media-radio nearly empty.
31
32 I would say that if the sunrise packages eventually get moved into
33 portage, they should go in app-hamradio instead of media-radio, then
34 maybe we could move the other ham radio packages over there, but then
35 what would be the best choice for whatever is left in media-radio?
36
37 William