From: Antoni Grzymala <awaria@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [rfc] layman storage location (again)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:13:34
1 Alex Alexander dixit (2010-01-18, 11:07):
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:05:58AM +0100, Peter Hjalmarsson wrote:
4 > > I sometimes think the main problem is the tree itself. Portage really
5 > > should had a directory of its own, but maybe with anoher structure,
6 > > like /var/portage, /var/portage/tree (the current
7 > > PORTDIR), /var/portage/distfiles (i.e. split out distfiles from the tree
8 > > itself), /var/portage/overlays/layman or /var/portage/layman.
9 > > I of course realize that change the structure of the whole portdir would
10 > > had inresting complications, so take this comment just as serious as you
11 > > like.
12 > >
13 > > But overlays really was an afterthought?
14 >
15 > I like this suggestion, it certainly makes the whole folder structure
16 > cleaner. If we're going to fix stuff, lets do it properly once and for
17 > all.
18 >
19 > Some compatibility code that checks and uses the old default locations
20 > while printing out warnings would help existing users with the
21 > transition without breaking current systems. Users with custom PORTDIR
22 > and friends could be notified through a news item.
23 >
24 > /var/portage/
25 > /var/portage/tree
26 > /var/portage/layman
27 > /var/portage/overlays (non-layman managed, layman could also be in here)
28 > /var/portage/distfiles
29 > /var/portage/packages
30 >
31 > or %s/var/usr/