From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About udev-145: new features / extras and kernel requirements
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:08:18
1 On Montag, 9. November 2009, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 16:11 +0200, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
3 > > Hi there!
4 >
5 > A late hello,
6 >
7 > > Second point: udev-145 bundles a lot of new extras, but they can only be
8 > > enabled/disabled all or nothing.
9 > >
10 > > These extras are:
11 > > * udev-acl: Apply consolekit permissions to devices for users (audio,
12 > > video, joysticks, scanner, cameras, ...)
13 > > * usb-db: Provide udev-rules with device names of pci and usb devices
14 > > * hid2hci: Special utility to fix resume of some hid devices
15 > > * keymap: Auto-configure model specific keys found on many laptops
16 > > ("brightness up", "next song", "www browser", or "suspend")
17 > > * modem-modeswitch: Switch modems that provide virtual cd-drive with
18 > > drivers to modem mode
19 >
20 > I think the thread hasn't seen an answer to the question of when these
21 > are actually used or useful, as asked in another subthread as well.
22 >
23 > > * gudev: glib/gobject support for libudev
24 >
25 > Would it be possible to have this in a separate package? Of course then
26 > with a temporary compatibility PDEPEND on it with udev[extras] until
27 > packages needing gudev migrate over.
28
29 The question is: DO we really need to split udev that upstream bundled into
30 one tarball?
33 > And what of the above listed other things besides core udev does gudev
34 > require or potentially use?
35
36 To be answered by someone else, I do not need these yet.
37
38 Matthias