From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:25:52
1 2007/12/18, Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>:
2 > Santiago M. Mola wrote:
3 > >> One example was mentioned in this thread before: You cannot use
4 > >> "find -name '*.ebuild'" anymore.
5 > >>
6 > >
7 > > So people could use a bit more elaborated expression to find them.
8 > > Things like this shouldn't be a reason for not applying
9 > > EAPI/GLEPs/PM-behaviour changes. If this GLEP is approved, it would be
10 > > fine to publish a quick guide of recipes to migrate scripts which rely
11 > > on the old naming convention and that should be enough.
12 > >
13 > > IMO, keeping us away from improvements to Gentoo because they break
14 > > backwards compatibility with third party scripts is a no-go. Of
15 > > course, this kind of changes can't happen once a month, but they can
16 > > happen from time to time.
17 >
18 > I don't think this is about strictly maintaining backwards
19 > compatability. You are right that we should not let this impede
20 > progress. My objection is that the proposed scheme does not appear to
21 > make the system more elegant, but rather it creates complexity,
22 > potential errors (mismatches in representions of EAPI), and introduces a
23 > rather unorthodox and complicated file extension pattern.
24 >
25 > I also do not see why there are not other more elegant, transparent, and
26 > automatic ways to determine EAPI without sourcing. I put forth an idea,
27 > and I understand the objections to it, but I'm just brainstorming, and
28 > there *must* be other ways that retain portage's elegance and simplicity.
29 >
30 > -Joe
31 > --
32 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
36 Just another brainstorming attempt. Is it possible to use one single
37 file per eapi which lists all ebuilds using a specific eapi like
38 package.eapi-name and is stored in the profiles. Or even one single
39 file which lists the ebuild and its eapi.
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list