From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Reviving GLEP33
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:44:31
1 On 08/05/2010 12:22 PM, Matti Bickel wrote:
2
3 > I guess the point here is that we need a stable version of PMs for a
4 > reasonable time before we switch tree ebuilds to it.
5 > People will hate me if I use EAPI4 functionality in php ebuilds as soon
6 > as councils approves EAPI4. Security might want a word with me if it's a
7 > fast-stable security release.
8
9 People will not "hate you" - if the portage with EAPI4 is in ~arch, you
10 can have PHP w/EAPI4 in ~arch, even on zero-day of release. Likewise
11 with stable tree. It does not matter when council "approves" EAPI4, it
12 matters when portage has the implementation and is released..
13
14 The caveat is with @system packages, especially bash/python/portage itself.
15
16 -Jeremy