From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:05:57
1 On Monday 18 August 2003 8:42 pm, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > I've used the same installation CD for most of my gentoo installs over the
3 > past few months, so I was shocked today when I realized that the smallest
4 > install ISO that we currently offer (at least for x86) is 80MB. When I
5 > started with Gentoo, it was ~15MB.
6
7 The current gentoo-basic iso is around 68 Mb; the uncompressed livecd image on
8 there comes out at 144 Mb. (Btw, why isn't there an ebuild for cloop
9 anywhere in Portage? No matter, I've put one together, which I'll commit
10 later in the week. Don't use cloop-1.0, as it's not compatible with cloop
11 images made with older versions, because of the change to 64-bit in the file
12 format, and because cloop-1.0-2 looks like it was released by accident)
13
14 It looks like adding vim to the iso is one of the causes of the size increase.
15 So (it seems) is Perl 5. Having vim is much appreciated (although a bit of
16 trimming would be nice perhaps), but I'm not yet sure why the CD needs Perl
17 5. I'm sure it's been put on there for a reason tho.
18
19 I think a nice target size should be an image that fits onto your average 64Mb
20 Pendrive. Being able to carry a Gentoo install solution around on my keyring
21 (along with my gpg keys :) sure is nice. So ideally a 55Mb image, to allow
22 room to spare.
23
24 It doesn't look too hard to make a smaller image if you want. The syslinux
25 site seems (I haven't tried this *yet*) to have all the info required on how
26 to make a new ISO image, and it's easy enough to look at the contents of the
27 existing ISO image, with a short amount of work. I can knock up a mini-guide
28 for that if there's demand.
29
30 Best regards,
31 Stu
32 --
33 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
34 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
35 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
36 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
37
38 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
39 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C