From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Feature request: package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:56:44
1 Am Freitag 27 April 2012, 17:26:48 schrieb Zac Medico:
2 > >
3 > > Maybe I'm missing something, but what would happen when the newest
4 > > version of a package is marked stable? The masked USE flags would
5 > > become unavailable for everyone?
6 >
7 > In order to be practical, I guess we'd have to add a constraint which
8 > says that if KEYWORDS contains the stable variant of a particular
9 > keyword, then it should also be considered to implicitly contain the
10 > unstable variant when the package manager is deciding whether or not to
11 > apply package.use.{mask,force}.
12 >
13 > So, here's a description of the whole algorithm that I'd use:
14 >
15 > 1) Let EFFECTIVE_KEYWORDS equal the set of values contained in KEYWORDS,
16 > plus ** and all the unstable variants of the stable values contained in
17 > KEYWORDS. For example:
18 >
19 > KEYWORDS="~amd64 x86" -> EFFECTIVE_KEYWORDS="~amd64 x86 ** ~x86"
20 >
21 > 2) Intersect EFFECTIVE_KEYWORDS with effective ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, where
22 > effective ACCEPT_KEYWORDS includes any relevant values from
23 > package.accept_keywords. For example, here is a table of intersections
24 > of EFFECTIVE_KEYWORDS="~amd64 x86 ** ~x86" with various effective
25 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS values:
26 >
27 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS | INTERSECTION | package.stable
28 > -----------------------------------------------------
29 > x86 | x86 | yes
30 > x86 ~x86 | x86 ~x86 | no
31 > ** | ** | no
32 > amd64 ~amd64 | ~amd64 | no
33 >
34 > 3) Apply package.stable settings if INTERSECTION contains only stable
35 > keywords. For example, see the package.stable column in the table above.
38 That is the best description I've seen so far, which exactly describes the use
39 case that I had in mind. +1 :)
44 Andreas K. Huettel
45 Gentoo Linux developer
46 dilfridge@g.o