From: Paul de Vrieze <P.T.deVrieze@×××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ideas about Gentoo
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:45:45
1 Maciek Borowka wrote:
2 >> anyways, i see
3 >> no reason why you couldn't make the ebuild scripts interactive
4 >
5 >You're right - the technical possibility exists, the problem is that no
6 >ebuild script does actually use it...
7 >
8 >> ebuild scripts to check for $EMERGE_INTERACTIVE in the user's
9 >> environment e.g - if "1" then ask your questions else build "as normal".
10 >
11 >I agree absolutely - interactivity is only an option...
12
13 I would like to add a suggestion. Use config files with defaults. I have
14 the following reasons for doing that:
15 - Interactivity is not nescesarry when default config is preferred
16 - It is possible to preconfigure a number of packages at once and than put
17 the computer to work for the night.
18 - It might be possible to upgrade old preferences
19
20 The system could than get the following specifications:
21 - An extra interactive_config() function added to the ebuild with the
22 following specs:
23 * Every option is specified with an add_option(name, type,
24 default), where "name" is the name of the option, "type" is the
25 datatype of the option eg: boolean, string, int. "default" is
26 the default value of the option. Boolean options can be passed
27 in the USE variable for optimal consistency, the other types are
28 more rare.
29 * An optional description can be given with a
30 describe_option(name, description) function. This clarifies the
31 option so maybe should not be optional
32 * An optional option_compat(name, version) function can be used to
33 specify a version of the package for which re-evaluation of the
34 option is not necesarry. (And for which it is)
35
36 - The config file should specify all options and the chosen values.
37
38 - For default builds no config file should be made.
39
40 - As stated above the option file should be tied to a package version.
41 Possibly the same naming as the digest file (but then with config) is
42 useful.
43
44 If anyone has any comments on this, please let me hear them (by posting to
45 the mailing list)
46
47 Paul
48
49 ps. I also send this to gentoo-dev because I think this mail is more
50 appropriate there, although it reacts on gentoo-user
53 ___
54 /~~~\ | Paul de Vrieze
55 | O-O | | Student of information management and technology
56 | _ | | Mail: Paul@××××××××.net
57 \___/ | Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net