From: Jesper Fruergaard Andersen <gentoo@×××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo inside vserver
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 03:42:55
1 I have been running Gentoo inside a vserver for a long time (at least one
2 year) and it has been working fine. I had to change it a bit to get it to
3 boot right as many things do not need to be done in a vserver because they
4 have already been taken care of by the root server. Whenever I have needed a
5 new vserver with Gentoo I have just cloned one so I didn't have to adapt it
6 to run inside a vserver again. However recently I did a clean build of gentoo
7 inside a vserver and it took significantly more work to get it to work
8 correctly, for example one thing I had to change was /sbin/rc.
9 Now I know there are other people who run Gentoo inside vserver so I thing it
10 would be nice if Gentoo supported this. Has anyone done some work on this?
11 Othervise as I see it there are 2 things that need to be change for this to
12 work.
13 - The default package list can be reduced as many packages does not really
14 make sense to have within a vserver.
15 - baselayout has to be changed or a vserver profile has to use an alternative
16 baselayout.
17 I guess one solution would be to simply create a vserver profile, but as
18 vserver run on many architectures that would mean creating many profiles.
19 Probably to much work for a relatively little change.
20 As I see it one way would be if you could somehow mask out some of the * in
21 /etc/make.profile/packages and perhaps ad one for an other
22 vserver-baselayout. What is needed in a vserver is an extended subset of a
23 default profile and doing copy - modify will require more maintenance so that
24 is probably not a good solution. The same goes for baselayout. Some is
25 needed, a large part is not and a small part would need to be changed.
26 Any suggestions as to how this would best fit within Gentoo and is it
27 something Gentoo wants to support?
30 Jesper
31 22:19:30 up 19:06, 1 user, load average: 0.88, 0.76, 0.93
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list