From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask cleanups
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:51:46
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 >On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:17:24 -0500
4 >Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu> wrote:
9 >>Hash: SHA1
10 >>
11 >>I figured it was time for a bit of cleaning... I ended up writing a
12 >>really crappy script for stable to do a check of whether package.mask
13 >>entries were really referencing anything or not. Luckily Brian was
14 >>able to write a much better one for bcportage.
18 >Why are people so obsessed with cleaning package.mask all the time?
19 >Sure makes sense to remove three year old unused entries from time to
20 >time, but not everything that isn't actively used is invalid
21 >automatically (quite sure that kde-3.5.1 stuff is a preventive mask
22 >for example).
23 >
24 >Marius
28 I was attempting to be helpful and filter out valid packages from the
29 list. I could have been an ass and been like "Yo I think package.mask
30 is bloated go clean it" and not given a list at all, but that is not
31 very useful.
32
33 I never said ( or meant for ) everything in that list to be cleaned, and
34 perhaps I should have added a "use your own descretion" deal. The goal
35 was to have a list that someone can quickly glance over and be like "hmm
36 I maintain one or two of those lets check it out".
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list