From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:45:06
1 On Wednesday 19 December 2012 15:52:28 Duncan wrote:
2 > >> There is a _reason_ why stuff is added to /var/lib instead of having
3 > >>
4 > >> /var/postgres /var/mysql /var/foobar /var/wtf /var/wth /var/imtired
5 > >>
6 > >> ...
7 > >
8 > > I don't understand how this is related to the discussion. None of the
9 > > above have any relevance for Gentoo that would be comparable to Portage.
10 >
11 > Seriously, people, we're talking about a user-level default, not
12 > something there's no user-level way to change. A ...
13 Um, no. Dont forget the "educate by example" aspect.
14 Seriously, how many people are going to read the fine print rather than just
15 skimming over and going with the defaults? Oh, sure, for those who know all
16 the fine details of FS layout and who manage to notice this is off and care to
17 change it they totally are able to do so. But most of the users (who even
18 notice)? It is going to be - "devs set it so, it must be right" and then we
19 have to combat to set things right again?
20
21 Oh, and clearly I am here with Diego: /var/portage or /var/gentoo is plain
22 wrong.
23
24 George