From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: Todd Wright <wylie@××××××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 05:41:51
1 On Monday 14 April 2003 10:08 pm, Todd Wright wrote:
2 > I had a lot of trouble getting the dev team to place my unmodified
3 > hercules-2.17.1 ebuild in the portage tree, despite the fact that I am
4 > involved with the hercules development team. The gentoo developers seem
5 > to have a 'we know better than you' attitude.
6
7 That's a bit presumptuous, and offhand rude...
8
9 Ultimately the the Gentoo developer who commits the ebuild is responsible
10 for the ebuild, not you. Towards this, we appreciate ebuild submissions
11 from users and outside developers, however: every ebuild has to go through
12 a minimal QA process.
13
14 We're not going to immediately commit an ebuild because someone tells us
15 that they're associated with the dev team of that particular package. It
16 has to be tested just like everything else.
17
18 If you're not happy with that, you have options:
19
20 (x) you can host the ebuild on your website, and point interested parties
21 to it until we test it and put it in the tree...
22
23 (y) you can switch to another distribution which I can almost guarantee
24 will move slower than we do...
25
26 (z) you can wait patiently while we do the best we can to satisfy all of
27 these requests and maintaining quality control.
28
29 Remember, this is open source development. You need to check your
30 expectations a little. The world doesn't move just because you snap your
31 fingers and demand that it does.
32
33 Cheers,
34 Dylan Carlson
35
36 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F
37 Key fingerprint = 3AEA DE38 FE42 15A6 C0E2 730E 3D04 BCC1 708E 165F
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list