From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:35:46
1 On 03/14/2012 19:27, Richard Yao wrote:
2
3 > On 03/14/12 18:49, Greg KH wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:39:05PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
5 >>> With that said, I have a few questions:
6 >>>
7 >>> 1. Why does no one mention the enterprise use case at all?
8 >>
9 >> It has been pointed out before, why constantly repeat ourselves.
10 >
11 > Simple. No one has documented it. A webpage that makes a few vague
12 > references to "enterprise use" does not count as documentation.
13 >
14 > I happened to figure it out when trying to rationalize why anyone would
15 > want this, but this is hardly obvious to those that imagine a computer
16 > as a self-sufficient single disk system.
19 You'll also find a lot of enterprise-specific decisions went into IPv6,
20 without necessarily stating them as being enterprise-specific. I.e., the
21 requirement for Unique Local Addresses, which are IPv6's idea of RFC1918,
22 required to be "globally-unique". When I quizzed someone about this one (I
23 think it was on ServerFault somewhere), I was basically told that "IPv6 is
24 not for home use".
27 >>> 2. Why not make rootfs a NFS mount with a unionfs at the SAN/NAS device?
28 >>
29 >> unionfs is still a "work in progress", some systems can't do that yet.
30 >
31 > That sounds like something that needs to be fixed.
34 I thought UnionFS died? Or was better handled by other "tricks" involving
35 filesystem overlays?
38 >>> 3. Why not let the users choose where these directories go and support
39 >>> both locations?
40 >>
41 >> Because a plethera of options is a sure way to make sure that half of
42 >> them don't work over the long run.
43 >>
44 >> We aren't Debian here people, we don't support "everything" :)
45 >
46 > Gentoo provides far more options than Debian does, so this seems
47 > somewhat contradictory to me.
50 Agreed. Debian is focused on an entirely different model of building a
51 Linux system, thus they have a narrower dependency chain and you sometimes
52 have to include packages that you don't necessarily care for because they're
53 required by a package that you do want to use. We have USE flags to resolve
54 that issue.
57 Joshua Kinard
58 Gentoo/MIPS
59 kumba@g.o
60 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
61
62 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
63 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
64
65 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic