From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Slotting Tcl/Tk
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:54:37
1 On Friday 21 November 2003 09:40, Eamon Caddigan wrote:
2 > I agree that there are a lot of potential issues involved with SLOTting
3 > this package. Unfortunately, the only alternatives -- a similarly
4 > massive effort to make sure everything works with the newest version, or
5 > sticking with an increasingly out-of-date package -- seem worse.
6
7 well, do any bugs exist in bugzilla about 8.4.4 ?
8 you could always bootstrap a stable system (after marking 8.4.4 stable
9 locally) and see if everything works out. ive been using 8.4.4 on my systems
10 w/out problems ...
11
12 i'd agree with utx here on why trying to SLOT a package just because you want
13 to compensate for a newer one being broken is the wrong path to take.
14
15 it's like when people suggested SLOTing openssl just because you have to
16 recompile packages against the newer openssl ... it's a hack, not a solution.
17 -mike
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list