From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>, Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upstream remote-id types in package metadata
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 09:24:12
1 >>>>> On Sun, 22 May 2022, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 >>>>> On Sun, 22 May 2022, Hanno Böck wrote:
4 >> I'm not sure about Google code.
5
6 >> While it's no longer an active site, it is still online in an
7 >> archived state. We maintain plenty of packages that have no active
8 >> upstream, and having a reference to an unmaintained previous upstream
9 >> which still allows downloading the code and the repo archive seems
10 >> like a good thing.
11
12 > The same is true for gitorious, but we have dropped those remote-ids
13 > from the tree nevertheless:
14 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=f8fd6bd07efee4d36a1babf55d6e69c7cb4a93d4
15
16 > However, I think that your point is valid. So the basic question is
17 > whether we should keep dead upstreams in that list, for archival
18 > purposes? If the answer is yes, then consequently we should also keep
19 > gitorious (and maybe revert above commit?).
20
21 For gitorious, I went through all packages where that remote-id was
22 dropped in the above mentioned commit. These packages were either
23 last-rited, or moved to different hosting. So restoring gitorious in
24 package metadata makes no sense for either of them.
25
26 Also, https://gitorious.org/ has a security certificate that expired in
27 early 2019.
28
29 Unless I see any objections here, I'll drop gitorious from the XML
30 schema and the DTD tomorrow.
31
32 Ulrich