From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 19:17:41
1 On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 16:12 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > > # Redmine
4 > > =dev-ruby/builder-3.1.4 ~amd64
5 > > =dev-ruby/rails-3.2.13 ~amd64
6
7 > Ok, this one is ridiculous. The stable version of Rails is 2.3.18, and
8 > 3.0 was released almost exactly three years ago. Every time rails-3.x
9 > gets bumped, I have to manually update the entire list above. I need
10 > to do it on an x86 server as well, so I get to do it twice; I can't
11 > even copy/paste the list.
12
13 Apologies for that. This is a case of lack of man-power combined with a
14 nasty set of dependencies to get stable (e.g. circular dependencies,
15 packages outside of ruby also needing to go stable). Unfortunately not
16 the most motivating work, especially compared to a lot of other tasks in
17 the ruby herd. I've been making some inroads a month ago, and I should
18 really push this through to stable.
19
20 Fun fact: no one ever filed a stable bug for a Rails 3 version. I think
21 users could help out with the overall problem being discussed here as
22 well by filing STABLEREQ bugs for things they need from ~arch.
23
24 BTW, you can drop "~amd64" and have the same meaning, leaving you with a
25 copy/pasteable list.
26
27 > It sucks, but it's still better than running ~arch. Problems like this
28 > should be fixed, but if you decide it's easier to
29 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" than deal with the exceptions, you're asking for
30 > trouble.
31
32 +1.
33