From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 02:28:07
On 09/25/2011 06:57 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote: >> On Sunday, September 25, 2011 05:53:18 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote: >>> "Gentoo" is defined by portage and the portage tree. If we remove >>> that, the end result is no different than compiling stuff manually in >>> Slackware or by hand.
Sure, the average Chrome OS end user may not know the difference. However, it makes a difference to the Gentoo community to have our tools and tree used by Chrome OS developers, and have them contribute back fixes and enhancements.
>> which is how Chrome OS is built. >> ROOT=/some/place emerge <some binpkgs> >> > > Yes, I'm well aware of how ChromeOS is built. :) > > But neither portage, nor the portage tree, nor any of our branding are > shipped with ChromeOS. Hence it's as much a Gentoo install as $company > that uses portage to build $image for their embedded device, but > doesn't leave any trace of Gentoo behind.
So what? I work on Gentoo for the benefit of myself and others (including Chrome OS devs), not because I want people to see Gentoo branding, or have more people identify themselves as "Gentoo users." -- Thanks, Zac