From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:47:23
1 Il giorno gio, 20/01/2011 alle 21.35 +0100, Matti Bickel ha scritto:
2 > On 01/20/2011 08:42 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 > No. Licenses are not a valid argument to me. I'd accept that if we're
4 > Debian and pushing 100% of *our* stuff as binary. What we do 90% of the
5 > time is distributing text - ebuilds.
6
7 So I'm not asking _you_ to waste 90% of your time discussing and
8 auditing licenses. We have a team for that.
9
10 At the same time I'm not going to ask the developers to all evaluate
11 case by case whether they should or shouldn't keep their stuff
12 available. I'm telling them to put it there rather than in another
13 place; what that will change shouldn't really be a problem.
14
15 > I just was curious about the reasons, as I see no
16 > compelling point in *forcing* this.
17
18 The reason to *force* this is two fold: we need a policy so that we stop
19 the fact that everybody does as he pleases and this is replacing a
20 _different_ forcing that we _used_ to have, and which I'm not surprised
21 you didn't hear about, that told developers to use mirror://gentoo/.
22
23 Which is unfortunately troublesome *as Ulrich and Christian already
24 shown*.
25
26 And since in Gentoo we cannot simply scratch rules, as otherwise people
27 will keep referencing them forever and ever, a new rule replaces the old
28 rule: you use dev.gentoo.org rather than mirror://gentoo/.
29
30 > Take php-5.3.2: I don't care if you found a security issue in my tarball
31 > or in php's tarball. I'll have a look to determine if the bug's still in
32 > the newest version. If it is, I'll rename the bug. If it is not, it
33 > doesn't matter to me.
34
35 You might not care. I would, and it's not just a matter of being the
36 current QA lead in charge, but rather a question of professionalism. If
37 I would find you or another developer to have introduced a backdoor in a
38 custom tarball, I'm going to have said developer booted, quickly.
39
40 Again, you might not care, we have other teams that do care. Since I'm
41 not asking you to do a 180° jump changing your habits, can we please
42 just agree that you don't see the point but you'll follow the request
43 anyway?
46 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
47 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/