From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:58:32
1 On 03/19/2010 12:15 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > I think this is because people that use Gentoo do so because it doesn't
3 > install things they don't need. Why install a package that is used by
4 > no other package? It's pointless.
5 >
6 > I would also add, if it gets installed and is used by no other package,
7 > --depclean should remove it. Putting it in package.mask locally is sort
8 > of silly in my opinion. There will come a day, maybe way off in the
9 > future, that something will need it. Then you have to edit the file
10 > again so portage can install it.
11
12 I guess what you want is an emerge
13 --avoid-new-slots-whenever-possible option. You might also want it
14 to check for cases in which pulling in a new slot will allow you to
15 remove an older slot (that will require some additional work).
16
17 Having options like those would be really super, but I don't think
18 using package.mask to do it will be so awful.
19 --
20 Thanks,
21 Zac