From: Stefan Behte <craig@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Thoughts about broken package handling
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:50:06
Hi,

yes, it's no fun to update oldish gentoo Systems - especially ones that
should only receive security updates.

> My bugbear at the moment, is often a package is broken for more than one > reason in my situation, and I find myself having to manhandle the > package lists generated by the above three, building each package > one-by-one, until I manage to rebuild them all.
Been there, done that... :/
> Concept: > > Tool will be written in separate modules to handle: > - ELF soname change breakage > - Python module updates > - Perl module updates > - other checks that can cause broken packages... > > Each check is run in order, generating a list of packages that should be > rebuilt.
If you do a complete update, you will probably update the kernel (maybe only for security reasons), too. In that case, sys-kernel/module-rebuild, might be of interest here, too. It stores a list of packages that compile kernel modules, and those will need recompilation after a kernel update. Best regards, Craig