From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:15:29
1 On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:18:35PM +0200, Jon Lech Johansen wrote:
2 > I tried installing the Microsoft codec packs today, including the one
3 > Tony Clark pointed out, and they *are* subject to license agreements.
4
5 Ack, the problems of not actually checking things yourself and instead
6 belive what you read. :)
7
8 > * "You may reproduce, install and use one copy of the OS Components on
9 > each of your computers that is running a validly-licensed copy of the
10 > applicable OS Software, provided that you use each such additional copy
11 > of the OS Components in accordance with the terms and conditions of this
12 > Supplemental EULA."
13
14 How would you interpret 'applicable OS Software'? Is Gentoo an
15 applicable OS for Win32 applications? It does run windows
16 applications, so I guess it could be interpreted that way. OTOH, it
17 can also be interpreted as you need a windows license to use, install
18 or reproduce the codecs.
19
20 Is 'applicable OS Software' defined somewhere in the EULA?
21
22 I don't see anywhere where they forbid you from copying this codec
23 though. Actually, as long as you only keep one copy of it on each
24 machine, 'you may reproduce' it.
25
26 Or am I reading it wrong?
27
28 > wmpcdcs8.exe:
29 > [... snippage of about the same license... ]
30 > installed. Microsoft retains all right, title and interest in and to
31 > the OS Components. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by
32 > Microsoft."
33
34 We're given the right to reproduce it, but not distribute it I guess?
35
36 > QuickTimeInstaller.exe:
37 >
38 > * "Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to
39 > install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a
40 > time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more
41 > than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software
42 > available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at
43 > the same time.
44
45 This one is not even a bordercase. It definetly forbids the user to
46 do anything with the quicktime installer. I assume it's from this file
47 the codecs are fetched?
48
49 >> [me about legal letters to apple & microsoft]
50 > It's been less than 3 working days.
51
52 I'm still in the 'wait and see' camp, even though you've convinced me
53 that we may have a problem. :)
54
55 //H
58 To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic.
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list