From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:15:29
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:18:35PM +0200, Jon Lech Johansen wrote:
> I tried installing the Microsoft codec packs today, including the one > Tony Clark pointed out, and they *are* subject to license agreements.
Ack, the problems of not actually checking things yourself and instead belive what you read. :)
> * "You may reproduce, install and use one copy of the OS Components on > each of your computers that is running a validly-licensed copy of the > applicable OS Software, provided that you use each such additional copy > of the OS Components in accordance with the terms and conditions of this > Supplemental EULA."
How would you interpret 'applicable OS Software'? Is Gentoo an applicable OS for Win32 applications? It does run windows applications, so I guess it could be interpreted that way. OTOH, it can also be interpreted as you need a windows license to use, install or reproduce the codecs. Is 'applicable OS Software' defined somewhere in the EULA? I don't see anywhere where they forbid you from copying this codec though. Actually, as long as you only keep one copy of it on each machine, 'you may reproduce' it. Or am I reading it wrong?
> wmpcdcs8.exe: > [... snippage of about the same license... ] > installed. Microsoft retains all right, title and interest in and to > the OS Components. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by > Microsoft."
We're given the right to reproduce it, but not distribute it I guess?
> QuickTimeInstaller.exe: > > * "Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to > install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a > time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more > than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software > available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at > the same time.
This one is not even a bordercase. It definetly forbids the user to do anything with the quicktime installer. I assume it's from this file the codecs are fetched?