From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:38:14
Ciaran,

On 06/19/10 21:16, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> No, that's the nice thing about delivering a product based upon > technical merit: most of the time, there are right answers and there > are wrong answers, and careful investigation and good management can > lead to it being determined which is which.
I think you neglect differences in values. Say the degree of backwards-compatibility: there's no wrong nor right without values. Both sides have pros and cons.
> Collaboration works when good ideas get kept and bad ideas get dropped. > Collaboration fails when good ideas are rejected because people don't > like who came up with them
If you had better tone it would be much easier to accept the good among your ideas.
> or the tone in which they were presented, or > when bad ideas are kept around to avoid hurting the feelings of the > people who came up with those ideas.
Saying "no" politely is hard, not impossible.
>>> Personally, I'd like to see Gentoo start having the kinds of people >>> who deliver a better product, not the kinds of people who worry >>> that using a gender-ambiguous cow as a logo might be offensive. >> >> I don't consider that comment respectful. > > But do you consider it to be correct?
No, I don't. I have said "technical is not our main problem" many times. Best, Sebastian