From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 02:44:17
1 On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:00:12 AM JST, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 7/4/16 11:26 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Finally, that does not dissolve the developer of providing usable,
5 >> substantiated, and verifiable information regarding the
6 >> vulnerabilities. The idea that a developer gets to choose whether or
7 >> not they do so should not be considered. Anthony's verbiage on Freenode
8 >> was very frank, in that if he chose to do so he would. We ask for all ...
9 >
10 > 1) In bug #473770 upstream gave sufficient information. I stated so in
11 > comments #1 and #2 with links. You ignored this fact and proceeded to
12 > p.mask in comment #3. This CVE should never have been filed. Its junk.
13 >
14 > 2) Bug #459274 is not a security bug. A CVE request was filed by Ago
15 > which, as far as I can tell, went no where. The log file in question
16 > does not disclose much more than one could obtain with just ps and
17 > netstat. I fixed a related issue with access.log in bug #459274.
18
19 That CVE request was not from Ago. It was from the respective OSS ML
20 referenced in the URL field of the bug report. Not to mention, you as a
21 maintainer were able to discover another issue with that package and fix
22 it.
25 > 3) My point on IRC is that you are acting on junk CVEs and I question
26 > your judgment. You can't produce "substantiated and verifiable
27 > information" on junk. Your above paragraph eclipses that side of my
28 > argument and strawmans me.
31 Why is this so difficult? All of the follow up information you gave, after
32 the p.mask and inquiry from Alex, is exactly what we need from the
33 maintainers. If the CVE is junk, which often happens, then the verifiable
34 and substantiating information is perfectly acceptable from the maintainer.
35 No one here is challenging your ability to provide such information, but
36 given the multitude of security related bugs we need cooperation from the
37 maintainers. We are not familiar with every package in the tree, but we do
38 our best to ensure any potential vulnerability is mitigated. Again, you
39 are the only developer who has had an issue with this. As previously
40 mentioned, a p.mask is not the end of the road, it is just an obligation to
41 ensure the user is warned of longstanding security issues. If they choose
42 to unmask it then so be it.
43
44 > I personally would like to see only QA oversee any forced p.maskings and
45 > have the security team pass that task over to QA for review. By forced
46 > I mean without the cooperation of the maintainer.
49 Again, no one else has had an issue with this except you. The one who
50 doesn't want to cooperate. I apologized for not pinging an active
51 developer, but you cannot reciprocate the professionalism here and work
52 with us. Why can't you just work the issue like you did following the
53 p.mask and we can move on? Inevitably proving the point of why the p.mask
54 is an option. Look at the myriad of security bugs and you will see such
55 examples of developers working together in order to validate, mitigate, and
56 close these bugs. Sometimes this process highlights the reality that CVE's
57 are not perfect in their descriptions or assessments.
58
59 -Aaron