From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Proposal for addition of distribution variables
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 01:20:43
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 15/12/16 17:03, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 21:49:15 +0000 "Robin H. Johnson"
6 > <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
7 >> 1. ebuilds: Add eclass to export all variables from
8 >> /etc/os-release with a prefix: OS_RELEASE_ID OS_RELEASE_NAME
9 >> OS_RELEASE_PRETTY_NAME OS_RELEASE_BUG_REPORT_URL etc (I'm happy
10 >> to bikeshed the name of the variable prefix).
11 >
12 > I'm not really into exporting a not-well-defined set of variables.
13 > This would mean that e.g. OS_RELEASE_FOO would be explicitly
14 > exported if os-release specifies FOO=, and otherwise it would leak
15 > from the parent environment.
16 >
17 > I think it'd be better to bind it to specific variables (possibly
18 > all defined os-release vars atm) and clear those that are not
19 > specified.
22 I hadn't realised the wording of this sentence when I replied. Yes,
23 that seems like a bad way to go; it should have a set of variables
24 that will be exported to ebuilds. And perhaps fall back to the
25 profile for anything not provided.
28 >> 1.1. Upstream packages that natively read from /etc/os-release
29 >> will automatically be supported. 1.2. Could potentially be in
30 >> base.eclass.
31 >
32 > base.eclass is in process of being nuked, so please don't
33 > reintroduce that horrible creation. Separate eclasses for specific
34 > purposes are the way to go, not huge monsters that do everything.
37 As I said in last email, I plan to make 'branding.eclass'. No base.
40 >> 2. Introduce a new virtual: virtual/os-branding.
41 >
42 > I don't mind having a virtual for this but tbh I don't see much of
43 > the point in it. Are we going to allow users to switch branding at
44 > runtime? ;-)
45 >
46 > Or is this purely because you find overriding virtual in subdistro
47 > cleaner than overriding a package? On one hand, I would agree with
48 > that. On the other, that would mean that users will find eternally
49 > uninstallable packages due to blockers -- i.e. redundant.
52 As someone who is running a subdistro: virtuals cause me even more
53 pain than real packages, as I have to constantly chase || dep list,
54 and when it is updated, normally there is no version bump (it is
55 eternally virtual/whatever-0 or virtual/whatever-1) so I have to go in
56 and change again. I agreed simply because package.provided exists.
57
58 But I already have to 'override' sys-apps/baselayout, due partially to
59 licensing concerns and partially to the fact it has Gentoo branding
60 everywhere.
63 >> 4. sys-apps/baselayout: 4.1. Move all branding pieces OUT of
64 >> sys-apps/baselayout, into per-distro packages, that satisfy
65 >> virtual/os-branding. 4.2. Depend on virtual/os-branding (maybe
66 >> implicit via the eclass above?)
67 >
68 > Wouldn't it be better to put it into @system? And possibly engage
69 > some releng quirks.
72 @system has no guaranteed merge order. It would be better to make it
73 implicit via eclass, for two reasons I can think of:
74
75 1) It will pull in the package before it is needed. Guaranteed.
76 2) On embedded/crossdev, the only package in @system is busybox. So
77 there is no branding present. That means that virtual/os-branding
78 would be useless bloat, unless and until a package that uses it is
79 installed (at which case it could be installed anyway).
82 Just my two cents. Thank you.
85 Best,
86 - --arw
89 - --