From: Vincent Launchbury <vincent@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Documentation licenses and license_groups
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 06:10:34
1 Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > No, it just says most GPL-2 software was released with the "version 2 or
3 > later" clause, as in "This software is released under the GPL version 2
4 > or later".
5 >
6 > That's a promise that any later version will do for /this/ software, not
7 > in any way a promise that whatever was released as GPL-2 can be
8 > redistributed as GPL-3.
9
10 Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant, doesn't the
11 GPL-COMPATIBLE license group assume that GPl-2 is v2+? If an ebuild is
12 listed as GPL-2, but it's version 2 only, then surely it isn't
13 GPL-compatible, because it's incompatible with GPL-3.
14
15 > Of course you can sell the software (as long as you distribute the [perhaps]
16 >derivative sources), you just can't /license/ it for money.
17
18 >Please look into the legal verbiage - you seem incredibly confused as to what
19 >it all means and you're confusing the matter even more for others.
20
21 Thanks for clearing that up. If that's the case, then isn't GPL-1 in the
22 same boat as GPL-2? As they are both incompatible with GPL-3 if the "or
23 any later version" clause isn't included.