From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cmake-utils.eclass: set default of CMAKE_VERBOSE=1
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 08:18:03
1 On 05/05/2012 12:49 AM, Kacper Kowalik wrote:
2 > On 04.05.2012 18:30, hasufell wrote:
3 >> # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: CMAKE_VERBOSE
5 >> # Set to enable verbose messages during compilation.
6 >>
7 >> By default this is deactivated which is inconvenient imo and results in
8 >> pastes having minimum information.
9 >> I have to tell users every time to recompile with CMAKE_VERBOSE=1 so
10 >> that I have proper information on what is going on.
11 >>
12 >> Are there any arguments against this being default?
13 >>
14 > Hi,
15 > It's been discussed previously here [1]
16 > with nack from cmake-utils.eclass maintainers and general conclusion
17 > that's too "expensive" to write to stdout :/
18 > If you're gonna make it happen this time, I'll owe you a beer...
19 > Cheers,
20 > Kacper
21 >
22 > [1]
23 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_1b58b577fde07f7735ae6b9eb34885be.xml
24
25 They should probably be using the emerge --quiet-build option if they're
26 concerned about the expense of build output going to the console.
27
28 Anyway, it seems like verbose would be a good default, with an option to
29 override it for people who enjoy watching build output scroll by in
30 their spare time.
31 --
32 Thanks,
33 Zac