From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 23:30:18
1 On 18 April 2015 at 07:14, Justin Bronder <jsbronder@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Unless the process has changed
4 > drastically since I joined, the only lengthy part of joining is
5 > potentially waiting for the recruitment team to catch up on their
6 > backlog. If someone doesn't have a couple of hours to spend filling out
7 > the quizes and chatting with a recruiter I don't we're losing out on
8 > much.
12 With all due respect, I myself find, and apparently others may also, that
13 there is more to it than time investment. My impression I've garnered is
14 that for some reason I can't devine, some people find them incredibly easy,
15 and others find them soul-destroyingly hard. I am in the latter category.
16 I can't profer an explanation for why this is, I really don't know, and If
17 I told you I would be probably making up rationalisations after the fact.
18
19 But I can state there are overlays I have *easily* invested *months* of
20 aggregate time into them.
21
22 I also have my doubts about the utility of the quizes being what they are
23 for all people, as I doubt the format serves as either an educational tool,
24 or a quality guard.
25
26 The best argument I have for why the quizzes being what they are is they
27 *require* you to engage with gentoo staff in order to get them answered,
28 and thus ensure you know how to ask questions.
29
30 But the content of the quizzes themselves seems easily forgotten ( And I
31 recall reading dev mailing list entries from time to time on the nature of
32 "How did you not know that, its in the quizzes!" :) )
33
34 Personally, I would see more value in a system where I learned the ropes by
35 doing them, not by talking about them. Because I very seldom learn anything
36 simply by reading and writing.
37
38 Obviously that penchant is not for all people, because different people
39 have different ways of learning things.
42 Kent
43
44 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL