From: Taras <taras.glek@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rlogin & telnet
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:46:21
1 On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 15:33, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Hello Developers,
3 >
4 > I'm planning to add xinetd snippets for rlogind and telnetd into the
5 > netkit ebuilds. These will install into /etc/xinetd.d, similar to the
6 > snippets which already install there. This seems appropriate to me for
7 > a couple reasons:
8 >
9 > (1) xinetd has external connections disabled by default in
10 > /etc/xinetd.conf. Therefore this addition doesn't open up security
11 > holes by default. The system administrator still needs to change
12 > /etc/xinetd.conf (or the appropriate snippet) to allow network
13 > connections to these daemons.
14 >
15 > (2) xinetd is further disabled by default since it requires the
16 > administrator to inentionally "rc-update add xinetd default".
17 >
18 > (3) Considering the protection inherent in the system provided by the
19 > policies in (1) and (2), it seems amiss to not supply working
20 > snippets in /etc/xinetd.d for these daemons. Additionally,
21 > netkit-rsh and netkit-telnet don't install by default, so I think
22 > all the bases are covered.
23 >
24 > I'll make these changes in the next 24 hours or so unless there is
25 > a reasonable objection.
26 >
27 > Aron
28 I would not like that. Since some of us may modify xinetd.conf to run
29 public services and having telnet/stuff added could come as a surprise.
30 How about adding them as comments, so if one wants them, all that needs
31 to be done is uncommenting of a few lines.
33 > gentoo-dev mailing list
34 > gentoo-dev@g.o