From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 14:45:44
1 On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 15:33 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 29-10-2019 15:17:38 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 > > > > > > > On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > > On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 14:09 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > > > > > What if the file is hosted at a non-standard tcp port upstream
6 > > > > > (like http://example.org:8080/)? The devmanual says that it _must_
7 > > > > > be manually uploaded to /space/distfiles-local/ in such cases.
8 > > > > Or another example, app-emacs/vhdl-mode-3.38.1, where (incompetent,
9 > > > > or nasty?) upstream blocks wget for some reason, but other methods
10 > > > > (e.g., curl, firefox) work? How would I get the file onto the mirrors
11 > > > > there?
12 > > > If I were you, I would've explicitly mirrored the file anyway.
13 > > > If upstream blocks wget, then users who do not use GENTOO_MIRRORS will
14 > > > also suffer due to it.
15 > >
16 > > All what I'm saying is that there can be unusual circumstances where
17 > > manual uploading of a file is useful. So please don't take that
18 > > possibility away.
19 >
20 > In addition, there are currently files there that aren't referenced from
21 > ebuilds. Prefix uses these files during bootstrap, local mirrors are
22 > often much faster than dev.g.o.
23 >
24 > If the files don't get mirrored anymore, I guess I can create a dummy
25 > ebuild that has the files in SRC_URI.
26
27 Ok, this is something I wasn't aware of. I agree that dummy ebuild
28 should not be necessary here. However, I'm also not sure if distfiles-
29 local is really the proper way either, especially that I don't see such
30 files on woodpecker right now.
31
32 I don't think the matter is urgent right now, so let's ponder on it
33 a bit. In particular, I think we should have a clear indication of who
34 added which files, when, what for and where they came from. Those are
35 precisely the things that the current distfiles-local approach misses.
36
37 > If the files get mirrored, but put in a subdir based on the filename
38 > hash, the original query endpoint on distfiles.g.o changes, much like
39 > the SRC_URI approach.
40 >
41 > Now I can use distfiles.prefix.b.n which redirects to the distfiles.g.o
42 > URL with subdir for most part I think, but it's sub-optimal from my
43 > point of view. Calculating the hash is not always feasible due to the
44 > lack of b2sum or other means. Hence my earlier request to have such
45 > official translation service on Gentoo hardware.
46 >
47 > (I just wrote a small wsgi script that calculates the hash and generates
48 > the redirect from Python, served via uwsgi/nginx, but there should be
49 > many ways to achieve the same goals, if and only if a blake2b
50 > implementation were available for it.)
53 This is also something that needs thinking. I personally don't mind
54 having one but it would be nice if it was able to account for geodns
55 and such.
58 Best regards,
59 Michał Górny