From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new USE flag: EXIF
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:05:14
1 On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 12:50:34PM +0200, Spider wrote:
2 > question, exif, is that the extended jpeg format, or am I on the wrong
3 > track here?
4
5 EXIF is a data chunk embedded inside a JPEG or TIFF. It is used by nearly every
6 digital camera manufacter out there presently.
7
8 The data is usually a whole lot of parameters from the camera
9 (fstop/focallength/exposurelength etc.) Also there is a thumbnail
10 created by most cameras embedded inside the file (your camera uses this
11 for the thumbnail directly), and there are a few applications that use
12 it for the thumbnail as well (Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro on windows, not
13 certain about linux).
14
15 I'm told that WindowsXP has native support for reading EXIF data inside
16 explorer, and shows the information in the status bar.
17
18 Here are some example images of mine, with a small subset of the available
19 info displayed below them.
20 http://photo.orbis-terrarum.net/index.php?pageType=image&currDir=./TechBC/Onyx1600_6_Feburary_2003&image=IMG_3043.JPG
21 http://photo.orbis-terrarum.net/index.php?currDir=./TechBC/FakeSpace_Server_Room_November_2002&pageType=image&image=DCP_5013.JPG
24 Robin Hugh Johnson
25 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
26 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
27 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
28 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85