From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: amateur radio applications should not be in media-radio
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:34:05
On 07/14/2010 03:16 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the ham radio > apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part of the media.
Most of the stuff in the media-* doesn't have anything to do with "the media" - whatever that is. Media likely stands for multimedia - generally referring to anything that has to do with sound, graphics, video, etc. I doubt that the jsmath font has anything to do with "the media," but it is a font, and fonts have to do with graphics, and graphics are part of multimedia. If we REALLY want to move I guess we can do so, but I don't think that the category was supposed to be suggestive of the news or entertainment industries. Rich