From: Justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:15:55
1 On 23.06.2012 18:53, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:47:26 +0200
3 > Justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 23.06.2012 18:17, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:13:23 +0200
6 >>> Justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>> Did you read what you wrote and thought about what you request from
8 >>>> others? Probably you better should.
9 >>>
10 >>> Uh huh, and I think we all know there's a huge difference between
11 >>> knowing what versions and slots are and knowing what "a multilib"
12 >>> is.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> Might be right, but that doesn't allow you to break your own rules.
16 >> Plus I still don't get the problem of using SLOTS in the way they are
17 >> used now.
18 >
19 > "My own rules" are that enough material is presented that the relevant
20 > people understand it. If you look at simple proposals like usex, silent
21 > rules or EBUILD_PHASE_FUNC, you'll see quite clearly that we ask for
22 > very little in the way of text in cases where the change is easily
23 > understood.
24 >
25 >> And I can't find this out by simply googling. In contrast, an
26 >> explanation of multilib in context of linux distribution and more
27 >> specific gentoo can be found easily.
28 >
29 > Oh really? I was under the impression that there wasn't even general
30 > agreement upon whether or not multilib applied to "C" or to "C, and
31 > Python, and things like it".
32 >
33 >> Stop acting in this arrogant way you are doing right now.
34 >
35 > Come on. Submitting a simple proposal with at least as much detail as
36 > was provided for other, equally simple proposals is "arrogant" now?
37 >
38 >>> That's covered in the devmanual and in the user documentation, so
39 >>> there's no need to repeat it here.
40 >>
41 >> Ever heard about references. They are good, if you don't like to
42 >> repeat what is written, but which are necessary context to understand
43 >> what you are writing. You should use them for the sake of
44 >> understanding, if you are to lazy to write it out again.
45 >
46 > Please take a look at the proposal for EBUILD_PHASE_FUNC, and say where
47 > it references what "phase functions" are, or the proposal for usex and
48 > say where it references what "use flags" are, or the proposal for
49 > silent rules where it references what "econf" is.
50 >
51 >>>> To me, it doesn't solve the root cause, but actually I can't judge
52 >>>> this, because I am missing a description of what is really going
53 >>>> wrong.
54 >>>
55 >>> As I've already said, this isn't about solving the root cause. It's
56 >>> about reducing the impact of damage that's already been done until
57 >>> the root cause is solved properly.
58 >>
59 >> My clear vote is No. We shouldn't implement anything which allows bad
60 >> coding anywhere, just for the sake of having it "solved" now.
61 >
62 > The bad coding has already happened. Are you volunteering to revert the
63 > Ruby virtuals?
67 I give up. And actually I don't care anymore.
68
69 When I saw the first people leaving this project, because of all this
70 non social bitching, I thought by myself, this will never happen to me.
71 But the amount of fruitful discussion here is so less compared to the
72 shire amount crap coming through, that it is not worth following it.
73
74 justin