From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] apache and ~arch
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:44:24
1 On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:24:41 -0600 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | However, I don't believe that ~arch should be used for ebuilds
4 | that one _knows_ have broken functionality. For such cases we
5 | have package.mask.
6
7 Indeed. It's in the developer docs and it's in the quiz. And yet...
8
9 http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/hollow/2005/03/14/apache_dithering
10 > I can understand that breaking the system isn't a very good idea and
11 > people will complain, but this does not count for the testing branch.
12
13 *sigh* Er, no. If you *know* it's broken, don't stick it in ~arch. If
14 it has no known issues, but hasn't been widely tested, then ~arch is
15 fine, but not if it's completely h0rked.
16
17 For how long have these people been developers and who were their
18 mentors? I'm starting to think that this wasn't a simple mistake --
19 rather, that it's a complete misunderstanding of what the different
20 KEYWORDS levels mean...
23 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
24 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
25 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm