From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] drivers and kernel addons
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 05:52:27
1 Hi
2
3 Something we really need at the moment is a pcmcia-cs ebuild,
4 but due to reasons i cannot remember, you cant have just a
5 default ebuild, but should need to provide source as well
6 if needed.
7
8 Danarmak and me talked about this some while back, but neither
9 of us got to it as of yet.
10
11 A nice option whould be to split ebuild of this kind into 3:
12
13 modules
14 source
15 userland-tools
16 (maybe libs as well .. like lm_sensors ??)
17
18 Only problem i for see with this, is that there is no real
19 place for ebuild of this kind.
20
21 Also other drivers (nvidia, any other addon (the glide modules?) have no
22 real place in the portage tree.
23
24 Now, what I suggests is that we move things around a bit, and
25 create some new portage catagories:
26
27 kernel-headers
28 linux-headers
29 pcmcia-cs-headers
30 lm_sensors-headers (if needed)
31 alsa-headers
32
33 kernel-modules (also any binaries .. like the kernel)
34 linux
35 pcmcia-cs-modules
36 lm_sensors-modules
37 i2c-modules
38 nvidia-modules
39 alsa-modules
40 ...
41
42 kernel-source
43 linux-sources
44 linux-sources-vanilla
45 pcmcia-cs-sources
46 lm_sensors-sources
47 i2c-sources
48 alsa-sources
49
50 kernel-tools
51 ksymoops
52 pcmcia-cs-tools
53 lm_sensors-tools
54 alsa-utils/tools
55
56 kernel-libs (??)
57 lm_sensors-libs
58 alsa-libs
59
60 And so on.
61
62 Another plus of doing it this way (except the lots of work
63 ;p), is that things will be easier to find for new users.
64
65 The kernel-source stuff can tipically install into
66 /usr/src/kernel-extra or some other default location
67
68 I have already commited myself to doing i2c and lm_sensors,
69 danarmak said he will do pcmcia-cs, and the rest should not
70 be a biggy.
71
72 Anyway, this is still a very _alph_ idea ;) So let me know
73 what you think!
76 Greetings,
79 Martin Schlemmer
80 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
81 Cape Town, South Africa