From: "Fernando J. Pereda" <ferdy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, stuart.herbert@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:24:27
1 On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 06:00:49PM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Ryan Phillips wrote: [Sat Mar 25 2006, 01:47:51AM EST]
3 > > It sounds to me like the overlays would benefit of using git/cogito.
4 > > The Linux Kernel uses this DVCS to full affect. Pulling changes from
5 > > other repositories, and even receiving email patches pushed from
6 > > people not having their own official repository (or repository http
7 > > or ssh accessible). Any git checkout is a branch, so its easy to
8 > > stay up to date with the mainline tree and still work on personal
9 > > branches.
10 >
11 > Most of the other DVCSs are easier to use than git, and just as
12 > powerful or more. IMHO git is used for Linux mostly because Linus
13 > wrote it, rather than it being the best tool for the job.
14
15 Well, I find it easier to understand than many other DVCSs out there...
16 In fact I don't think it is difficult to use in any way. Maybe pre-1.1
17 versions had some syntax weirdnesses, but the 1.2 series are really easy
18 to use and understand...
19
20 > > I think git/cogito might be the solution. It works for a highly
21 > > distributed kernel development, which would be similar to the way
22 > > the overlays would work. Gentoo User A would checkout the kde
23 > > overlay, make some changes, cg-commit them to their own overlay, and
24 > > submit the patches upstream via an email requesting a pull, or
25 > > emailing them patches directly with a git-mkmail command.
26 >
27 > *shrug* All possible with the other DVCSs, generally easier to use,
28 > and harder to screw up your repo.
29
30 How would you screw your repo using normal Git commands ?
31
32 Cheers,
33 Ferdy
36 Fernando J. Pereda Garcimartín
37 Gentoo Developer (Alpha,net-mail,mutt,git)
38 20BB BDC3 761A 4781 E6ED ED0B 0A48 5B0C 60BD 28D4