From: Damien Levac <damien.levac@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 03:12:46
1 > Three points :-
2 > 1) systemd - not all gentoo users subscribe to this 'philosophy' .. >but
3 >no, I don't want get drawn into debates of yes/no of systemd ..
4
5 The article start by saying the points are not just for systemd, even
6 though the latter might find the merge more 'needed'...
7
8 >2) "Today, a separate /usr partition already must be mounted by the
9 >initramfs during early boot, thus making the justification for a
10 >split-off moot." - no, not all gentoo users have an initramfs and
11 >need/want one .. so this is a false assumption.
12
13 Agreed, this does not apply to Gentoo.
14
15 >3) I still believe there is merit in distinguishing between binaries
16 >that can/should be run as root, and those that can/should not. Those
17 >that run as root 100% of the time, or use VMs, don't really 'use' linux
18 >in the original sense of the OS ..
19
20 /usr/sbin still exists in a merged usr, so I don't get that point...
21
22 >*hides in his bike-shed, awaiting the flaming torches....*
23
24 Don't worry: no troll here.
27 Damien Levac