From: Dane Smith <c1pher@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Formal Adopt a Package Program
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:26:49
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 All,
5 As some of you may have seen, over the past couple months I've been
6 serving as a proxy-maintainer on a number of packages for a fair few
7 proxy-committeers through what I've been calling C1phers Adopt a Package
8 Program [1]. So far, I would consider it to be a success. A fair few
9 packages have been adopted (over 15 at this point IIRC). There are a
10 couple problems with this existing in the way that it does however.
11 1) I am the sole point of contact for all of these packages.
12 2) It is not really "official". A blog post that some people have seen
13 doesn't really attract a ton of users to get involved. (Though it's done
14 better than I would have guessed).
15 3) As it grows, it becomes a fair bit of work for the one guy involved
16 (me) =P.
17
18 Now, I know there are a fair few packages in the tree that have other
19 proxy-maintainers. (I'm too lazy to get a real number, so sue me.) So
20 here is what I think would be a good idea to do.
21
22 Create a formal Gentoo project with its own herd and alias. Whenever a
23 packages has a proxy-maintainer, instead of having 2 maintainer entries
24 (one for the user, one for the dev), have the users contact information,
25 and put the package in the herd associated with the project. (Say
26 proxy-maintained with the alias proxy-maintained@g.o.) From there, users
27 that want to have something committed can use the alias, and any dev
28 that's helping with that project can review it quickly and commit it for
29 them. Or if they so choose, they can add themselves to the metadata in
30 addition to the herd and it will be left to them as long as they get to
31 it in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise someone else can step in
32 and help out.
33
34 I think this serves a fair few purposes. First off, I would imagine it
35 will take a pretty decent dent out of our growing count of m-n packages.
36 It makes life easier for the proxy-maintainers and their committers. It
37 allows users who want to proxy-maintain something to find the group of
38 people who will help out rather than having to put a call out on the
39 mailing lists. And, it will mean that users involved in the project can
40 get some recognition on the project page.
41
42 I do realize there is a small amount of overlap with the already
43 existent Sunrise package, however, given that usually Sunrise serves as
44 a home for m-w packages, I think this can help fill the gap left for the
45 m-n packages. (And help provide a logical transition from Sunrise to
46 Portage).
47
48 Well, that about covers it. What does everyone think? Good idea? Bad
49 idea? Waste of time? Are you crazy? Let's hear it!
50
51 Thanks!
52
53 [1] http://dev.c1pher.net/index.php/2011/03/c1phers-adopt-a-package-program/
54
55 - --
56 Dane Smith (c1pher)
57 Gentoo Linux Developer -- QA / Crypto / Sunrise / x86
58 RSA Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x0C2E1531&op=index