From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE=doc for .pdf's ? (WAS: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sci-astronomy/kapteyn: metadata.xml ChangeLog kapteyn-1.9.2.ebuild)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:04:28
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE=doc for .pdf's ? (WAS: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sci-astronomy/kapteyn: metadata.xml ChangeLog kapteyn-1.9.2.ebuild) by "Paweł Hajdan
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:43:17 -0700, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
<phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
> On 7/13/10 12:32 PM, Jeremy Olexa wrote: >> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:25:51 +0000 (UTC), "Kacper Kowalik (xarthisius)" >> <xarthisius@g.o> wrote: >> >>> if use doc; then >>> insinto /usr/share/doc/${PF} >>> doins doc/*.pdf || die >> >> An open question to all: >> >> Should we be hiding pdf's behind USE=doc?? I've seen it here and there >> as of late. I thought USE=doc was for compiling docs and/or pulling in >> extra deps to build docs. > > In my opinion we're never going to have 100% consistency here. I'd say > let everybody implement it in a way one thinks is the best.
I will highly disagree with this statement. If *WE* are not consistent, how do the users of the distro know what to expect? Why does this USE flag have a different standard then the rest?
> The description of the flag is "Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, > etc)". So if something is an extra documentation, it seems to be fine to > "hide" it behind USE=doc. > > And I'd prefer to keep the meaning of "extra documentation" flexible and > open to interpretation, just because there is no obvious benefit to aim > for 100% consistency here, and overstandardization would be bad.
No obvious benefit besides being consistent to our userbase. Do our users expect non-consistent USE flags? That sounds bad to me. Sadly, I think this is a subject that we will never get a consensus on. Maybe the description should be changed to: global:doc: Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, PDFs at maintainer's discretion, etc) -Jeremy