From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: infra <infra@g.o>, dev-portage@g.o, k_f@g.o, "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New Manifest hashes and how to enable them
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 20:00:53
1 On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Your thoughts?
3
4 This seems pretty hasty.
5
6 First of all, SHA-256 should be safe for all intents and purposes, and
7 for the foreseeable future. This is nothing like Git's usage of SHA-1,
8 which was known to be on the way to brokenville for a long time. I
9 don't think there is a solid reason for deprecating it now.
10
11 Second, the amount of diversity proposed does not make sense. If
12 asked, I would propose we keep SHA-256 as one of the options and
13 additionally add a SHA3 variant and a BLAKE2 variant as other options.
14 This would provide more than enough diversity. Also totally agreed
15 with Vadim on the obscurity of the GOST algorithms.
16
17 But, this is the kind of thing where we really should get input from
18 the Security project, so we should get people like Hanno and Kristian
19 involved.
20
21 Third, I don't much trust the security record of the python libraries
22 mentioned. cryptography is the best Python library for crypto by far,
23 and I think we should use it exclusively for anything Python doesn't
24 provide in the stdlib. The PyCrypto security record is not exactly
25 stellar IIRC, and since pycryptodome is a fork of it, I don't trust it
26 that much, either.
27
28 But mainly, please, I think we should leave the security-sensitive
29 decisions to people with more security expertise.
30
31 Cheers,
32
33 Dirkjan