From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 16:22:11
1 On Friday, November 25, 2016 11:39:15 PM EST Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 >
3 > I could see a use-case for someone wanting to install a given daemon or
4 > server with a specific user and/or group. I'm not sure this is the right
5 > approach (nor do I know what is), but I think we have room to think
6 > about a solution; ideally one that is dead-simple to implement and
7 > doesn't have a ton of edge-cases.
8 >
9 > What is QA's current policy on user/group creation, btw?
10
11 Years ago there was talk/discussion of having some list/database of UID/GID[1]
12 [2], so that we have consistent assignment. Arch seems to be the only distro
13 thus far who has produced such a list[1], but seems to be outdated and not
14 maintained. Also seems to deviate from some UID/GID numbers RedHat uses for
15 example[2]. Arch 78 for KVM group, RedHat uses 36.
16
17 While there are many reasons people do not care about UID/GID, and arguments
18 could be made that it might be better to have them vary on systems and be
19 unique. Though some things there are already common UID/GID across distros.
20
21 I think in the long run, surely for anyone managing lots of systems. It is far
22 better to have a consistent standard list of UID/GID including names. Maybe
23 other distro's will adopt and become more of a standard.
24
25 1. http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&w=2&r=1&s=Assigning+unique+system+uid%2Fgid
26 +for+new+&q=b
27 2. http://marc.info/?t=117034194400005&r=1&w=2
28 3. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database
29 4. https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/
30 Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.5/html/Installation_Guide/sect-
31 System_Accounts.html
34 William L. Thomson Jr.