From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on how to reduce territoriality
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 00:24:59
1 On Monday 06 August 2007, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger kirjoitti:
3 > > On Saturday 04 August 2007, Petteri Räty wrote:
4 > >> Steev Klimaszewski kirjoitti:
5 > >>> Vlastimil Babka wrote:
6 > >>>> dodoc calls should have || die and USE=doc should be tested before
7 > >>>> commiting a bump, IMHO
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Sorry, I didn't realize my 3 hour compile of $APPLICATION should die
10 > >>> because TODO wasn't around. Vote against || die - it doesn't affect
11 > >>> anything aside from misc docs not being installed, if its really that
12 > >>> important, most people hit the website anyway. (But yes, they should
13 > >>> be corrected and tested before committing)
14 > >>
15 > >> And is the average ebuild 3 hours and haven't you heard about FEATURES
16 > >> noauto? The || die is there for maintainers to spot when version
17 > >> bumping. If you commit a version that's broken with missing TODO and ||
18 > >> die you should think about if you are doing everything right...
19 > >
20 > > so you think everyone should be an ebuild ninja and know exactly how to
21 > > recover ? or edit an ebuild to fix the issue themselves (you're assuming
22 > > dodoc was the last statement in src_install, not the first)
23 > > -mike
24 >
25 > Yes, every gentoo dev with gentoo-x86 access should know how to deal
26 > with it.
27
28 we're not talking developers, we're talking users. it's inappropriate for a
29 user to have spent significant time compiling a package only to have it fail
30 because TODO does not exist.
31 -mike