From: Philippe Namias <pn@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo test
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:24:03
1 Hi,
2
3 Yesterday i installed Gentoo Linux on my home workstation.
4 So i notice few bug :
5
6 First GRUB didn't work on my hardware i have a MSI 694 Pro D motherboard with
7 two DMA channel and two UDMA channle on a in board promise UDMA 100.
8
9 So GRUB is unbale to find my disk on the promise UDMA 100 but find it on the
10 normal DMA channel. (I think this is due to BIOS as GRUB try to find disk
11 info from the BIOS and the Promise UDMA 100 Bios is apart from the computer
12 BIOS.)
13
14 Then i run Gentoo with the sotck kernel provided and try at the command line :
15 /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet restart i got error message (line 26 and 50) i didn't
16 look at the script but the initialisation of network pass.
17
18 Next trouble i have is one that really push my head on a wall :
19
20 So i boot Gentoo with the stock kernel provided , then i do a pkmerge of
21 linux-source-...tbz2 and pppd-...-.tbz2, i load the modules for my network
22 card and for ppp as i use ppp for connecting to the internet.
23 Then i got a wierd behaviour from pppd telling that ppp generic is not loaded
24 but when i do lsmod i got it.
25
26 So i decided to recompile the kernel , i selected all that feet my needs and
27 reboot. The new kernel boot without problem but PPP is still not loaded but i
28 choose it to be load directly in kernel (not a modules), this as never worked
29 all the other options worked but PPP never passe.
30
31 So i reinstall gentoo and recompile my kernel in the chroot mode.
32 So all goes well , i reboot and now hourra i see PPP generic ...
33 The i do a pkmerge of ppp-...-.tbz2 run pppd and he tell me that PPP is not
34 present in my kernel?
35
36 So i see two possibillity to this bug or i do something bad but ireally don't
37 know what or the ppp stuff in this kernel is broken or the ppp-...-.tbz2 is
38 broken
39
40 Any one have an idea ?
41
42 PS : i also found that my memory was bad during installing gentoo i changed
43 it on now my workstation work without rebooting for no reasons :)