From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New version constraints: variant one
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 15:22:47
1 On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 14:53:51 +0800
2 konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I got similar idea here, but my version is that you don't have to use
5 > u: or v:
6
7 The entire point of defining it as a prefix-space was to avoid ambiguity,
8 and leave plenty of room for other such selector prefixes.
9
10 Relying on properties like "is it a number" or "is it text" is a shoddy
11 heuristic.
12
13 A heuristic that will fail us as soon as we want to add new features in
14 our matcher syntax.
15
16 Hence,
17
18 <ATOM>[<CONSTRAINT>(,<CONSTRAINT>...)]
19
23 Then instead of debates about how we can invent some "new" syntax
24 where we have to constantly reinvent existing syntax to allow space
25 for the new syntax, we can just define new identifiers, because we thought
26 ahead about this problem and gave us wiggle room to add features.