From: aeriksson@××××××××.fm
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pushing dependencies of installed packages forward.
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:59:48
1 >
2 > This situation varies depending on whether program "D" is SLOTted or
3 > not. When it has different SLOTs for different versions, multiple
4 > versions can be installed side-by-side. There is usually a good reason
5 > for doing so (for example, breaking programs that depended on D-1 in
6 > D-2).
7 >
8 > You could try `emerge depclean -p` to see whether any of the versions of
9 > "D" are candidates for removal. Another option would be to check the
10 > ebuilds of all packages depending on "D" to see whether they depend on a
11 > specific version (=3Dversion) or just >=3Dversion.
12 >
13 > I can't think of any better ways offhand.
16 Some more data points. In this specific case i have nmh wanting
17 =db-1.85 (which is SLOT=1) and postfix wanting db=4.1 (SLOT=4.1). I
18 tried a emerge -UDve world just to get everything compiled with the
19 latest gcc etc. What happened was that nmh's compilation halted saying
20 that it couldn't link to the db (db.so.2 missing if memory serves).
21 Alright, checked the nmh .ebuild file and noticed DEPEND =db-1.85.
22 emerge of that one seems to knock the 4.1 one out of the waters (and
23 4.1 unmerges 1.85). So it seems the two packages don't install nicely
24 side-by-side (at least not tha way i do it. I'm a SLOT illiterate).
25 The 4.1 one does seem to claim 1.85 compatibilit though since it
26 creates a bunch of symlinks 1.85 -> 4.1. Whatever compatibility it has
27 is not enough to make nmh happy though.
28
29 Bottom line is that everything user to work ok before I tried -UDve
30 world, now I can't seem to get it back in order. intercepting the
31 "Waiting 5 seconds before starting..." thing and not proceeding with
32 the unmerge does the trick though, it seems.
33
34 I'm not sure of the db slotting is since it apparently is a bit
35 invasive in the -e scenario. On the other hand the nmh packaging does
36 not seem to have the right knobs to check for libs...
37
38 ideas anyone?
39
40 /A